Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Social Insurance Number


You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Peel and across Canada. It is illegal to work in Canada without a SIN card.

Your unique SIN number applies only to you. It tells the government who is earning money, paying taxes, paying into pension plans, and using government services.

Employers, government agencies and non-profit organizations will ask you for this number.

It is also needed to open a bank account or to obtain a child tax credit.

Applying for a SIN card

  • Go to the Service Canada Centre near you
  • You must bring or mail original documentation to prove your identity, such as a Permanent Resident Card or Record of Landing

It is good to apply for your SIN card in-person at the local Service Canada Centre. It is faster, convenient, and you do not have to send your original identification documents which can get lost in the mail.