Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

International Students

Students in a lecture hall


As an international student, there are several things to keep in mind, such as document translation, English language proficiency, tuition fees, living costs and immigration requirements. Generally, international students pay a higher tuition rate for college and university programs. In some cases, the tuition is double or triple the amount that domestic students pay.

Schools for International Students

Secondary Education

Peel Schools for International Students and Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board for International Students provide various secondary education programs for international students.

Post-secondary Education

University of Toronto, Mississauga campus (or UTM) is located in Mississauga and UTM's International Centre provides information and support for international students with a study permit. 

Sheridan College has campuses located in Brampton and Mississauga and, offers a variety of programs for international students.

Lambton College of Applied Arts and Technology (Lambton College) is a public, non-profit college located in Sarnia, Ontario which has established a licensing agreement in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada referred to as Lambton in Mississauga. Lambton College's programs are licensed to and delivered by Queen's College of Business, Technology & Public Safety, a licensed private career college. 

Applying to colleges and universities

The first step in applying to college or university is to research the programs and colleges available to you. The College map provides information on colleges eINFO provides information about university programs, admission requirements and more. 

To apply to an Ontario College you need to apply through as soon as the application is available in October, so that you have plenty of time to complete the academic and immigration requirements before your studies begin. Depending on the country in which you live, this process could take anywhere from three to nine months. To learn more visit Ontario Colleges - Applying to college as an international student

To apply to an Ontario university, you must submit your application to the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC). The OUAC processes application for all Ontario universities. 

Applying for a study permit

You need a study permit to attend an elementary, a secondary or a post-secondary education institution in Canada. Recently, Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made changes to the international or exchange student study permit. There are now minimum standards for designated learning institutions and full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs can work off campus without a werk permit.

When applying for a study permit you will need to identify the institution by its designated learning institution (DLI) number on the application form. 

Standard eligibility criteria for a study permit

  • Proof of funds, including:

    • Tuition fees
    • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
    • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • You must have a clean criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. In some cases you will need to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to undergo a medical examination, if necessary
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay

Working while studying

As an international student you can work under any of the Citizenship Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada's work programs for students

Work on campus - You can work at the institution where you are studying without a work permit, see eligibility criteria.

Work off campus - As of June 1, 2014 full-time students enrolled in an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution (DLI) can work off campus without a work permit for 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks.

Work as a co-op student or intern - You need to apply for a  Co-op work permit if work experience is part of your academic program.

Working after graduation

As an international student you could be eligible to get a special work permit to allow you to work in Canada - for up to 3 years - after you graduate. For more information visit Post-graduate work permit: Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada.