Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.



A refugee is a person who is forced to leave their home country for fear of persecution. There are 2 types of refugees:

Convention refugee

A convention refugee is a person that is outside of their country of origin and have a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion. They have been given permission by the Immigration and Refugee Board to stay in Canada.

If you are a convention refugee, you can receive services free of charge to help you live, learn and work in Peel. See the full list of Settlement Agencies that can help.

Refugee claimant

A refugee claimant is a person that has applied for refugee status while in Canada and is waiting for the Immigration and Refugee Board to determine whether or not refugee status should be given.

If you are a refugee claimant, you can receive services free of charge to help with your immigration process. To find the full list of where you can receive assistance, please check the Settlement Agencies in Peel.

You can learn more about Refugee Programs on the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.